We also took a minute to remove and save our VIN tag. In case you’re curious, our ’68’s body was built in the fourth week of December at the Van Nuys plant. Originally it was an Ash Gold V-8 coupe with black bucket seats and she was the 20,982nd ’68 Camaro produced.

After a couple hours of cutting, grinding, and cleaning, this was the result. As you can see most of the original firewall remains and will provide an excellent structure for which to secure the new firewall piece. As an added benefit, the new firewall will be stronger than what we started out with.

Using some heavy cardstock we then created a template as a guide for how we wanted the new firewall to look. Actually, we had this left over from another ’68 Camaro project. It worked on this car just fine with only minor variances.

With the Fusor starting to set up, we wasted no time getting the new firewall secured in place. Before applying the metal adhesive, we had clamped the panel in place and predrilled holes for our Cleko-loc fasteners.

We used a rotary shear to make the long, straight cuts quickly, then switched over to good ol’ snips for the detail work. When we got close, we put the panel in place to check fitment, then trimmed where needed. Removing too much material would just mean more work down the line.

Brad Dorschel, of Best Of Show Coach Works, then put the template on a large sheet of 16-gauge sheetmetal and traced out the shape with a marker.

Next, we broke out the Lord Fusor gun and a tube of their 108B metal adhesive. This is their medium compound and it has a 40 to 50 minute work time before setting up. One helpful aspect is that the material turns from gray to green as it sets up. Once set it’s proven to be stronger than a weld. We ran beads around the entire perimeter and every hole we could find. This would help seal the openings and firmly anchor the new sheet metal in place.

The new firewall is now permanently a part of Project Track Rat. In fact, once the Fusor sets up we couldn’t remove it if we wanted to.