Next, we installed the new longer lower control arm bolts. Be careful not to drive the bolts out more than 1 inch until after the rack and bracket are ready to be installed all the way. We then placed the large spacer over the lower control arm bolts on the left and right side. We temporally installed the rack on the two lower control arm bolts and just hand-tightened them to test-fit the steering shafts.

Depending on what size engine, and which headers your Camaro has, you may need some header modification. The Hooker Headers on this car had to be modified for clearance. Unisteer built the big-block steering shaft kit (PN 8050540) to work with Patriot headers, but we opted for making ours work.

Unisteer offers a special adapter hub for use with a stock steering column. You’ll need one of their steering shaft kits (PN 8020820) for your small-block or big-block application.

If you experience header interference problems like we did with this particular header, you’ll need some additional tubing in the form of mandrel U-bends, elbows, or a donut. We picked up all these Pro-Werks products from Goodies Speed Shop in San Jose, California just in case, but we ended up using only one U-bend.

We then installed the steering support bracket with the shaft support bearing at its highest location to keep the bind out of the shaft. We finger-tightened the bracket to allow for easy removal while trial-fitting and trimming of the steering shafts.

With the header removed, we were able to attach the U-joint to the shaft sticking out of the rack-and-pinion. Then we installed the upper steering assembly. We test fit the center U-joint to find out how much we needed to trim. Measure two, or even three times, then cut once.

Next, we measured the lower shaft and cut it to fit. When you’re all done cutting the shafts to size, you may need to bevel the edges of the Double-D (not the splined) ends of the shaft for the U-joints to pivot correctly.

To correctly phase the U-joints for bind-free operation, we were sure to line them up properly. Unisteer instructs you to line up the U- joints on each end of the shaft phased 45 degrees from each other.

Now that we’ve trimmed and lined up all the shafts and U-joints, we installed them without any of the locking nuts and bolts. We cut the primary tube out of our header and temporarily re-installed the header so we knew where to make modifications.

Kevin Stearns of Pacific Fabrication performed all the header modifications. He cut up one of our U-bends and tack-welded the pieces into place.

We removed all the steering joints in one piece then took out the header for complete welding. After that was done, we painted the header with some silver heat paint.